Welcome to our LA. AWHONN Conference. We will be covering topics from perfecting the pelvic floor to the personal touch presented in NICU
About this event / Register Here! / Conference Flyer
We are excited to have with us, Sara Reardon, DPT, otherwise known as "The Vagina Whisper", who will review and discuss the importance of the pelvic floor and the role it plays in the delivery process. We will also be exploring the latest research on the opioid crisis is relation to newborns, the importance of assessing women's sexual health, and the remarkable delivery of a 23 week infant, and the role of those who cared for her, as told by her mother, award winning journalist, Kelley French.
SARA REARDON PT, DPT, WCS, BCB-PMD
Sara is the owner of NOLA Pelvic Health in her hometown of New Orleans, La and founder of The Vagina Whisperer. She is a doctor of physical therapy, earning her Bachelors of Science in 2004 and Doctorate of Physical Therapy in 2007 from Washington University in St. Louis. She is a board-certified women’s health and pelvic floor therapist specializing in the treatment of pelvic floor muscle dysfunction in men and women. She is a TedX Presenter, recipient of the 2019 Alumni Achievement Award from Washington University in St Louis’ Program in Physical Therapy, and was named one of New Orleans’ Top 40 under 40 young professionals in 2019.
KELLEY BENHAM FRENCH, BS, BA, MJ
Kelley is the author, with her husband, of " Juniper: The Girl Who Was Born Too Soon." The book, published in 2016 by Little, Brown, tells the story of her daughter, born barely viable at 23 weeks gestation. She was a finalist for the 2013 Pulitzer Prize in feature writing for a newspaper series on the same subject, exploring the science and ethics of saving babies born so soon. She is a professor of practice in journalism at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana.
- 7:30-8:00 Registration/Breakfast/Exhibitions
- 8:00-8:05 Welcome
- 8:05-9:20 "Optimizing Pelvic Health Outcomes in the Peripartum Patient" Sara Reardon, PT, DPT, WCS, BCB-PMD (keynote speaker)
- 9:20-10:20 Amniotic Fluid Embolism - Ann LaFranca, MD (OB-GYN)
- 10:20-10:40 Break/Exhibitions
- 10:40 - 11:40 "Sexual Health: The Overlooked Assessment" Helen Hurst, DNP, RNC-OB, APRN-CNM
- 11:40-12:40 Business Lunch/Exhibitions
- 12:40-1:40- NOWS the Time: Caring for the Infant with Neonatal Opioid Withdrawal Syndrome "Meghan Howell, MD (Pediatrician)
- 1:40- 2:00- Break/Exhibition
- 2:00- 3:15 - "Telling Stories in the Dark: The Healing Forces of Instinct, Attention and Love", Kelley French, BA, BS/MJ (keynote speaker)
- 3:15-3:30 Closing remarks